Re: [Openfontlibrary] Fwd: кто допишет модуль для ccHost. Предложения принимаются :)

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:16:28 PST 2006

Hi, Alexandre,

Your PHP module will certainly work quite well for generating PNG
images of sample
text in many scripts, but it has limitations: Complex text layout
(CTL) scripts such as
Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari, Khmer, and many other human scripts will
not be handled correctly because PHP does not call a shaping engine
such as Pango to perform proper shaping / joining behaviour for
complex scripts.

Whether this PHP script, or a derivative of this PHP script, meets the
needs of the OFLB project therefore depends on what OFLB wants to do:

* If OFLB only needs the ability to show isolated glyphs, then a
script like this is sufficient.

* Or if the OFLB only wants the ability to show example text using
Western scripts like Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, and even some Eastern
Scripts which have no complex shaping behaviour, like Chinese and
Japanese, then this script is also sufficient.

* But if the OFLB also wants to render complex text layout scripts
like Arabic, Hebrew or Devanagari, then the text image rendering
methods provided in PHP are not sufficient.  In other words, for a
generic solution that handles all scripts currently encoded in Unicode
v. 4.0 or v. 5.0, PHP's text image methods are  not enough.

This is the reason why, for example, unifont.org's "Font Playground"
actually has a dedicated C++ program on the backend which uses Pango
for complex shaping behaviour.

Best Wishes -- Ed Trager