[Openfontlibrary] Thumbnails. Was: more updates on Open Font Library

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Oct 23 16:15:14 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 23:00 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 23/10/06, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 22:27 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
[...]
> > > Konquerer also does thumbnailing of font binaries, fwiw
> > Aha...I wonder what library/software is used for this. Does anyone know?
> Looks like GNOME does too
>
> http://actsofvolition.com/images/gnome_fonts.png

Unfortunately, like most font thumbnailing systems, it's not
too good at showing the glyphs that actually distinguish a
font... e.g. for a Hebrew or Greek font, showing "abcd" is
not helpful.

The thumbnail should probably depend on the user's locale, as
well as the languages and scripts supported by the font.

Liam

Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/