[Openfontlibrary] Font File Type and Admins?

George Williams gww at silcom.com
Wed Oct 25 10:14:24 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 23:26, Jon Phillips wrote:
> I want to make sure we keep it simple, keep as much data as possible,
> and keep to using public standards.
Well Type1 (plain, CID & Multi-Master) is certainly public.
As is Type3.

> I'm thinking this for submissions:
> 1.) need to have an open type submission
Can't be done for many Type3 fonts.
Can't be done for bitmap fonts.
You could do this for MM fonts by submitting the default face but you'd
lose all the MM.
> 2.) upload as well the master files used to make the font
> 3.) OPTIONAL, include as many other versions of the font as possible
>
> I think since the font file formats are basically screwy, we have to set
> our minimum requirements which is the best open public standard that is
> widely used, Open Type, and then try and get as much of the other data
> as possible so we can mutate it, change things, etc...
>
> What do you think about this? Also, what does everyone else think?
I think that before you decide on what formats you want to support you
need to decide on what abilities you need. Perhaps you have done this
and I was not paying attention.
  1) Do you want to support pure bitmap fonts?
  2) Do you want to support fonts with odd fills and transparencies?
	 (type3)
  3) Do you want to support multi-master fonts?

If the answer to these three questions is "No" then otf/ttf is clearly
the solution.

> Is this type of guideline good for the project and clear for users?
> Obviously, the site's UI will really need to reflect this...
>
> George, and great wiki users on this project,
I have never used a wiki.