[Openfontlibrary] Font File Type and Admins?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Oct 29 12:32:08 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 12:13 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Raph Levien wrote:
>
> > Not to keep the license discussion going longer than it should, but
> > I'd like to know whether the primary goal of the Open Font Library is
> > to be a repository and distribution site for _all_ free (libre) fonts,
> > or whether it is intended as a community site primarily for new font
> > development.
>
> Originally, both. There was a moment when splitting these two goals
> was possible due to start of TypeForge project, but they never replied
> my email and I don't remember them showing up at #openclipart.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are doing...however, I would say our goal
should be for the Open Source/Open Content/Free Software communities.
Ideally, we could consolidate the horrible font mess into our
infrastructure and do releases like: openfontlibrary-1.0.tar.gz and then
the distros can install this with our high-quality fonts as the major
fonts for an installation. This would be major.

> > The biggest problem, I think, with the CC licenses for fonts is
> > whether they force a CC license for documents they're embedded within.
>
> 2Jon
>
> Could we have comments on that from CC lawyers?

This is not the case.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org