[Openfontlibrary] Font site wishlist

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Oct 31 08:41:42 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 05:32 -0800, Ed Trager wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Raph Levien <raph.levien at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Of course, I'm going to be implementing my own font format in the
> > coming year or two, so there are lots of questions about coordinating
> > that. What I've got so far is very simple, based on s-expressions, but
> > I think I should take another look at ufo, for the sake of not
> > reinventing the wheel too much.
> >

> Having only just taken a first look at UFO, it looks pretty good to
> me.  Why not just consider adding to the UFO format if it is lacking
> in places instead of inventing a new format?  I don't see what a new
> format will really do for you, or for anyone else.
>
> If I were going to write an AJAX-based interactive font editor
> however, I think I would --for the purposes of such an application
> only-- drill the XML down to one-letter tags whereever possible to
> reduce bandwidth consumption and improve responsiveness.  For example,
> instead of having:
>
> <glyph name="A">
>   <advance width="487"/>
>   <unicode hex="0041"/>
>   <outline>
>     <contour>
>       <point x="243" y="681" type="move" name="top"/>
>     </contour>
>   </outline>
> </glyph>
>
> (152 bytes)
>
> ... I would boil this down to something like this:
>
> <g n="A">
>   <a w="487"/>
>   <u h="0041"/>
>   <o>
>     <c>
>     </c>
>   </o>
> </g>
>
> (90 bytes)
>
> which achieves about 40% savings in bandwidth ... but again I would
> only do this for the application's "private" communication between the
> client and server  Any "public" communication --such as saving out
> font files for public consumption-- would expand back out to the
> full-blown UFO XML spec.
>
> Best - Ed

Hi Ed, where is there more info about UFO. Could you put this down on
our wiki here:

http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/index.php/UFO

Where is this project hosted and developed and how can we put this on
our roadmap and in our plans. Is this something you'd be interested in
taking charge of, finding out, and moving forward on?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org