[Openfontlibrary] Transmogrifying Free Fonts into CA$H

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Oct 31 11:31:15 PST 2006

On 31/10/06, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

I should have noted that by including those references, I was just
hoping to explain why personally I have uncertainty around what
license is best for collaborative document writing, and I trust that
our community is nice and small and leet enough not to devolve into
flamewars just yet.

>     [0]: "people have a tendency to disregard the differences between the
>     various Creative Commons licenses
>
> It's hardly surprising.

The biggest problem I have is the 'sandbox' effect of Non Commercial
terms that don't expire that Rob has eloquently explored on his blog -
http://www.robmyers.org/weblog/2006/10/25/lessigs-sandbox/

The way AFPL GhostScript worked in practice is an example of an
expiring NC license. Although theoretically a CC-NC work will return
to the public domain, in practice copyright is being extended for 20
years every 20 years and is thus infinite.

>     [1]: "the Free *Software* Foundation's non-free-software "Free
>     Documentation License" is far worse than anything CC have made: it's
>
> This is a contentious topic.

lol maybe I should have snipped that bit, oops :-)