[Openfontlibrary] Raph's font format

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:06:47 PST 2006

Hi, Raph,

> Something that worked directly in the spline space, for example to
> render calligraphic Urdu, is well beyond the capabilities of OpenType,
> Graphite, or for that matter any existing font format. It's a
> fascinating possibility for a future direction, but simply far too
> ambitious for now.

It still would be very interesting to have conversations about what would
really be required for a cursive writing system like traditional
Arabic calligraphy.  Certainly it is an area I have only recently
thought about and you are probably right that even Graphite may not be
up to the real task.  The value in discussing some of the issues now
is that you could insure that your font system had the foundational
architecture in place to allow for that kind of expansion in the far
future.  It would be nice to get a knowledgeable Arabic calligrapher
who also had some comprehension of font technologies to participate in
those kinds of discussions.

Best - Ed