[Pkg-fonts-devel] Re: [Openfontlibrary] Book recommendation around fonts and typography

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Apr 7 05:33:59 PDT 2007

George Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 02:12, Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I recently got Yannis Haralambous's great book on fonts and encoding.
>> If you haven't come across it yet, I would really recommend it.
>>
>> It's a pretty big book but it's amazingly well-written and it covers a
>> lot of subjects related to fonts and typography that are of interest to
>> our communities.
>>
>> A great reference to have.
>>
>> Available in both French and English:

> No, currently only available in French. The English version's
> publication has been "in a few months" for the last 6 or so. I'm sure it
> will come eventually, but don't hold your breath...

(catching up after a long time away...)

Yep, you're right. My mistake.

I started with the French version and somehow missed the fact that the
English version wasn't out yet when I found it on the English online
catalogue.

Hopefully when it comes out it will also include information about the
new features in fontforge and other great recent developments around
open fonts.

Btw, here's another book I enjoyed reading on font design "Language
Culture Type: international type design in the age of Unicode" edited by
John D. Berry, designed by Maxim Zhukov, and published by Graphis for
AtypI: http://www.atypi.org/05_About_us/70_publications/50_LCT/

Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-fonts/