[Openfontlibrary] looking for corefonts replacements, how to replace?, and site search

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Apr 12 07:03:08 PDT 2007

A few topics here:

1) The website search doesn't work for me. For example, the search can't
find "libertine" but I see it listed in the wiki.

2) I am looking for replacements for Microsoft Corefonts which are
TrueType fonts from Microsoft with WGL4 (Windows Glyph List 4) charset:

- Andale Mono (monospace sans-serif typeface)

	Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
	http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

	FreeMono
	http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/

- Webdings
- Trebuchet MS, with variants Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic (sans-serif)
- Georgia, with variants Bold, Italic and Bold Italic
- Verdana, with variants Bold, Italic and Bold Italic
- Comic Sans, Comic Sans Bold
- Arial Black
- Impact
- Arial, with variants Bold, Italic and Bold Italic

	Bitstream Vera Sans
	http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

	FreeSans
	http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/

- Times New Roman, with variants Bold, Italic and Bold Italic

	Linux Libertine
	http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/

- Courier New, with variants Bold, Italic and Bold Italic

	FreeSerif
	http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/

(I also found some replacements at
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/gavindi/ but don't know license.)

If you have suggestions or advice on replacements for above, please let me
know. A wiki page would be good for this.

3) Does your wiki contain instructions on how to map replacements with
fontconfig and maybe other applications? If not, can anyone share
examples?

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed