[Openfontlibrary] looking for corefonts replacements, how to replace?, and site search

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Apr 12 08:20:39 PDT 2007

> > 2) I am looking for replacements for Microsoft Corefonts which are
> > TrueType fonts from Microsoft with WGL4 (Windows Glyph List 4) charset:
>
> I'm not aware of anything like replacements for these fonts. While not
> free software, you can get these from http://corefonts.sf.net and they
> are freely redistributable, which IMO is the most important freedom in
> free software.

The real fonts do have a license that prohibit modification (which could
mean providing package of files extracted from original "cab" file(s)) and
doesn't allow any profit such as including it in a CD that is sold.

The sourceforge project provides: "The src rpm is cleverly constructed so
that the actual fonts are downloaded from Sourceforge's site at build
time. Therefore this package technically does not 'redistribute' the
fonts, it just makes it easy to install them on a linux system."

As another example, Ubuntu's msttcorefonts package says: "allows for easy
installation" and "You will need an Internet connection to download these
fonts if you don't already have them."

This is why I am looking for alternatives so I can suggest them to package
users.