[Openfontlibrary] looking for corefonts replacements, how to replace?, and site search

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 12:38:16 PDT 2007

Hi, Denis,

> A good subsitute would have original designs for glyphs but the same
> metrics as the non-free font it aims to replace.

The Bitstream Vera set of fonts actually have different metrics than
the corresponding MS Core fonts, right?  There was a post on the this
list about somebody I think in Australia who has taken the Bitstream
set and changed the font metrics to match MS Core font metrics.  How
"bad" is that, I wonder?  How different are they?  Also, has the Deja
Vu project changed the overall font metrics at all, I wonder, to
accomodate all of those extended Latin and other added characters?

Many people are interested in the issue of "document fidelity" --
where, for example, pagination of a document does not change across
OSes.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that there are some
well-known commercial fonts that also have the same font metrics -but
different glyph designs- as some other better known commercial fonts.
Presumably the reasoning is the same: to allow drop-in substitution of
the alternate font while still retaining "document fidelity".

I wonder who has solid information on this issue?

Best - Ed Trager