[Openfontlibrary] looking for corefonts replacements, how to replace?, and site search

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 12 14:44:10 PDT 2007

    Courier New -

I seem to recall Bitstream, URW, and IBM all releasing versions of
Courier as free "software".  Definitely URW.

    > I wonder who has solid information on this issue?

URW released their version of the 35 core PostScript fonts under the GPL
many years ago.  As far as I know they are "essentially" compatible with
Adobe's metrics (which are a changing target anyway).

Of course, other families have been released as free software, Charter,
Vera, Utopia, Gentium, and so forth.  I think they were all originals,
though.

I've tried to summarize the free (as in freedom, that is) font
information I know of at http://tug.org/fonts (written from a TeX
perspective).

> Document fidelity is impossible unless you use the same font.

Amen.

Best,
karl