[Openfontlibrary] Linux and fonts (was on inkscape dev list)

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:25:05 PDT 2007

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/42926
> Linux distribution should only install at most 5 or 6 font per script
> (screen and print), and have all the decorative fonts as optional.

Okay, I can see the madness sets-in early (in typical Linux-anarchic
fashion :))

> You most probably
> installed many of those fonts.

Oh yes, I probably did! One has these apt-get "days" sometimes :)

> Run the command
> $ fc-list : file family style | grep "Christian Participants"
> that will give you the path of the font files.

Mad command, but it works. Thanks.

> It's probably in the directory /usr/share/fonts/ttf-larabie-uncommon/
> If you "dpkg-query -S " with that filename as argument, you'll know
> which package is guilty (although its directory should give a hint) .
> You'll have to run other commands than dpkg-query on other distributions.

Also good. Thanks again. I will try remove that one just to see what happens.

Have you any advice about how Linux "knows" what fonts are "installed"? I
mean, how do fonts get into choosers? If I can understand that system I would
feel a little more in control.

/d