[Openfontlibrary] Linux and fonts (was on inkscape dev list)

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:01:22 PDT 2007

> Fontconfig handles that for most applications. However you need to
> restart an application if there are changes in the font list.

Right, I have sunk a few hours into this fontconfig mire and I really don't
have that much time. So far I think I understand how to "install" a font
system-wide -- by way of the fc-cache command. What I am trying to do is
remove a font from the system so that it does not get seen by fontconfig.

I don't want to remove an entire font package, I just want to make individual
fonts "go away". Let's pick on URWGothicL-Book, how do I make that font *not*
appear in a chooser?

I am aiming at a "font zapper" function in Fonty Python to help users clean-up
their insane choosers.

Thanks all,
Donn.