[Openfontlibrary] Fonty Python : Type1 fonts and their temporary installation under Linux

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:40:32 PDT 2007

Hello,
I am trying to fit Type1 fonts into Fonty Python and not really getting far.
My approach with FP is to put a soft link to a font into the ~/.fonts folder.
That's what I call "installing" a font.
If I put a link to a .ttf or .otf -- they show up in Inkscape (as a test).

Now to Type1.

Besides my other thread (I am trying to remove URWGothicL from the choosers),
I am using "a010015l" in /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts (which I am variously
renaming to see what happens)
I made three links in ~/.fonts to it, thinking that perhaps all three *fm
files are needed for fontconfig to "pick up" a Type1 font. (I have tried
various combos).
In ~/.fonts, they look like this:
a010015l.afm -> /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts.renamed/a010015l.afm
a010015l.pfb -> /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts.renamed/a010015l.pfb
a010015l.pfm -> /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts.renamed/a010015l.pfm

When I open Inkscape I see URW Gothic L (the right name) but when I choose it
the font displayed is some other font, not right at all.

The big variable here is trying to install a temporary Type1 file on a system
that *already* seems to have every Type1 file listed as "installed" in the
first place. I can't know for sure what I am looking at.

What are the opinions/facts/experiences from you all in this regard?

Thanks,
Donn