[Openfontlibrary] david berlow on screen type

James Cloos cloos+fd-openfontlibrary at jhcloos.com
Thu Mar 8 14:21:17 PST 2007

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen Hartke <hartke at gmail.com> writes:

Stephen> In general, it was not a problem with ftconfig and xft
Stephen> finding the font; the problem was that garbage would be
Stephen> displayed.

I had that problem at one point with everything I converted to
opentype bitmap format (any flavour of bitmap in sfnt).

But I just mucked around with my config and tested on of those gbf
files I had.  Looks OK in ftview, corrupt in xfd....

The only obvious thing I found is that fc-cat shows that fc-cache
thinks it is a bitmap rather than a greymap:

,----
| "UNI_4.bdf" 0 "unigfont-16:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=80
|               :width=100:pixelsize=16:spacing=110:foundry=jhc
|               :antialias=False:index=0:outline=False:scalable=False
|               :dpi=75:...:fontversion=0:fontformat=BDF:decorative=False"
`----

(I elided only the :charset and :lang attributes.)

Notice the :altialias=False.

fontconfig/src/fcfreetype.c has this:

,----(partially elided and re-formated excerpt)
|  if (!(face->face_flags & FT_FACE_FLAG_SCALABLE)) {
| // elided
|  if (!FcPatternAddBool (pat, FC_ANTIALIAS, FcFalse))
|   goto bail2;
`----

That of course prevents any GDF from having FC_ANTIALIAS==FcTrue.

There are probably similar presumptions elsewhere, as well as in Xft,
cairo, et al.  They'll need to be patched to recognise a BDF with a
depth!=1 as a greymap and display it accordingly.

Somehow I thought that was already the case, but I see that it is not.

Stephen> I've posted the file on my webpage for you to access:
Stephen> http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/FixedGrayMedium.bdf.tgz

I'll grab it tonight; thanks.

Stephen> Note that only the diagonals in the ASCII section have been
Stephen> grayscaled.  "7" is a pretty good test character.

That was what I tried to do, too.  My intent was to simulate the look
of well-instructed single-pixel-stem ttf fonts as displayed AA by Xft.

-JimC