[Openfontlibrary] david berlow on screen type

James Cloos cloos+fd-openfontlibrary at jhcloos.com
Fri Mar 9 02:44:48 PST 2007

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen Hartke <hartke at gmail.com> writes:

Stephen> Can the BDF renderer handle grayscale?  (ie, is it FreeType?)
Stephen> Is BDF the right format for this?  I've also tried using OTB,
Stephen> but again without any success.

AFAICT, so far, the problem is at least two-fold.  First, as I last
wrote, libfontconfig presumes that all bdf fonts are bitmaps and
forces FC_ANTIALIAS to false.  Next, Xft (and probably cairo & qt)
must set some flag based on FC_ANTIALIAS's setting when passing the
font to freetype's FT_New_Face().

Freetype has no problem with gdf fonts.  The problem is in how the
fonts are being passed to freetype.

And, in fact, xft ORs in FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO to the load flags when it
beleives the font is not antialiased.  So, perhaps changing fontconfig
to set FC_ANTIALIAS to FcTrue when the bdf is in fact a gdf may be
enough to get such fonts to work.  At least for Xft apps.

I'm doing some tests now to see how much needs to be done.

It will take a bit, my box is old and slow....

-JimC