[Openfontlibrary] Newbie alert - How to even get started creating a font?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Mar 21 06:51:11 PDT 2007

Hi Richard!

On 21/03/07, Richard Querin <rfquerin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I find some good information on things like:
>
> - what free and open source tools are used (inkscape maybe?)

FontForge is the premiere free software font outline editor.Inkscape
is great for making drawing experiments, sure

> - how to get started

Keep searching the web :-)

> - how to properly create ttf files (or some other format if that isn't the
> standard)

OpenType is the current standard. FontForge allows you to generate
almost all formats of fonts, though.

> - good sources for design advice and general information

Typophile and the new TypeStudent, online. There are some proprietary
books out there too, like 'Designing Type.'

> While I know good font design is probably very very difficult and likely way
> above my head, I'd still like to play around with it. Any information would
> be good.

The OFLB wiki has a lot of links in the External Resources section :-)