[Openfontlibrary] Re: NEW FEATURE: Open Font License 1.1 Support!

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue May 1 19:42:09 PDT 2007

Jon Phillips wrote:
> Hello all, Nicolas Spalinger wrote the basics of support for ccHost for
> Open Font License 1.1 and then I rounded out the changes, tested with
> ccHost, and installed the license onto our site.
>
> So, now everyone out there can upload fonts and license them with the
> Open Font License or release into the public domain.
>
> So, hats off to Nicolas!

And big thanks to you for your work on cchost and your help in
integrating the OFL!

> I started a new SVN module to add openfontlibrary.org ccHost modules and
> tweaks which is described here:
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/index.php/SVN#Modules
>
> The new module is called: openfontlibrary_cchost
>
> So, hopefully this encourages more contributors to the project!

Yep :)

> Nicolas and others, this seems like a big newsworthy event, possibly could be
> linked with LGM2007 with blog post and Press Release from SIL and our
> project to announce this, our new logo, and where we need help...

Great idea, we can do an announcement during LGM2.

> Also, it would be great if we could get a solid about page on our site
> that explains the project concisely and the Open Font License clearly.
> Would anyone like to take this on?

Maybe a BoF on the spot to get this going?

IMHO there's already good content on our wiki and the OFL website for
the licensing aspect.

I'd suggest we also do things like:
- s/public domain fonts/open fonts/
- s/OFL/OFLB/

> Then, finally, the one big thing we need is generation of typography
> from uploaded fonts...if anyone is interested in these tasks, please
> step up here and/or jump into #openclipart on irc.freenode.net

IMHO something like Ed's font playground technologies would be very
cool: http://retina.ophthy.med.umich.edu/fontplayground/

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org