[Openfontlibrary] Aurulent Sans

gww at silcom.com gww at silcom.com
Sat May 5 10:22:36 PDT 2007

Quoting Stephen Hartke <hartke at gmail.com>:

> points, etc) the location for the visual axis.  MetaType1 can then compose
> the glyphs. Unfortunately, MetaType1 outputs a Type 1 Postscript font which
> I then import into FontForge, and I don't think that there's any way to
> store glyph placement info in a Type 1 font (maybe I'm wrong?).  Is there an
> advantage to having FontForge build accented glyphs, as opposed to having
> MetaType1 do it?
I expect FontForge will not do as good a job as having your metafont sources do
it... I assume metafont will have a lot more info. But you can try and see.

> > - When you do polishing, remember to removed duplicate points, there
> > are a few like the top point of 'a',
>
> This seems to be a problem with FontForge's simplify command.  I'll write to
> George about it.
Hmm. Simplify should handle duplicate points. Gimme a test case.

> also remember to round coordinates and bearings.
>

> How important is this?
It makes the files smaller. FF's autohinting works better on integer coords.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

> the glyphs in FontForge.  It also raises the interesting question of what
> license is most appropriate, since there is source code.
Two different licenses?