[Openfontlibrary] red hat liberation fonts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 10 19:12:51 PDT 2007

On 10/05/07, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 19:14 -0100, Gustavo Ferreira wrote:
> > > http://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/
>
> I wonder who the best person at Redhat is to contact about asking for
> an OFL release? :-)

The actual links to the files are now up, and are at

https://www.redhat.com/f/fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf.tar.gz

There is a press release at
http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/ about this
from Mark Webbink, Deputy General Counsel and Secretary, and the beef
is:

0. They are under the GPL+font exception
1. They are metrically equivalent fonts to TNR, Arial and Courier
2. Version 2 with full hinting will be out by 2008
3. Ascender Corp did it (they do a lot of Microsoft's fontwork,
especially hinting, iirc)
4. Ascender retains rights to make them available as proprietary software
5. The family is trademarked "Liberation"