[Openfontlibrary] red hat liberation fonts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri May 11 04:16:05 PDT 2007

On 11/05/07, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:

> I'm cc'ing Andy Fitzsimon and Jack Aboutboul to see who to connect with
> at RedHat for trying to get them dual-licensed at least with Open Font
> License

This would be ideal.

I'd really like to open a discussion with the people who were involved
in the discussion that made this GPL decision, just to hear their
thoughts on font licensing in general, and why the decision to GPL
was made in this case.

I'm not totally sure how lobbying for OFL switching here will be.

> and/or something less restrictive.

I'd say that the OFL was more restrictive than the GPL.

> Also, I would like to underline that GPL is for source code.

Well, its for _software_, which neccessarily has sourcecode; if fonts
are really software or not is open for debate, although I'm currently
feeling more inclined that they are, and the GPL is suitable for
fonts. The language about distributing the build scripts and such is
going to become more and more important as OpenType complexities
become much more common.

The lack of automatic upgrade in OFL is also non-ideal, imHo, but its
been discussed on ofl-discuss (and IRL :-) already :-)