[Openfontlibrary] red hat liberation fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 11 14:57:43 PDT 2007

Hi Nicolas and all,

    ns> Not quite sure how to interpret precisely the second exception...
    ns> IMHO this could use a README and a FAQ.

I agree.

    dc> I'd say that the OFL was more restrictive than the GPL.
    ns>In what way?

You yourself stated later in your msg that the OFL has restrictions
around naming and selling.  That is not to say that they are not
desirable for a large portion of the free font world (such as it is),
but they are restrictions that the GPL does not have.

Perhaps the thing to say is that the OFL and GPL have "different"
restrictions.  I see no point in trying to argue which is "more"
restrictive.

Anyway, the decision for this group has already been made.

    ns> IMHO these two exceptions have some serious (unintended?) consequences.

The first exception is the standard GNU wording.  I don't think there is
a problem with it.

    ns> than ideal because the exception *can* be dropped in later modifications.

That's a feature, not a bug.  It is easily imaginable that a font
designer might want his work to be only be used in free documents.  We (GNU)
get queries along these lines for software (I mean, non-font software :)
quite frequently.

Best,
Karl