[Openfontlibrary] red hat liberation fonts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon May 14 15:21:59 PDT 2007

On 11/05/07, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> > I wonder who the best person at Redhat is to contact about asking for
> > an OFL release? :-)
>
> I speculate that these fonts, like so many others, were based on the URW
> fonts, which are released under GPL+exception.  In that case,
> legally relicensing would be rather problematic.

Interesting idea, but I don't think the fonts themselves suggest this.
There's been offlist discussion about this, and it turns out that Red
Hat has a policy of only using OSI approved licenses, as part of
liability limiting agreements with blue chip customers. So the wheels
for getting the OFL approved by OSI are in motion :-)