[Openfontlibrary] droid fonts

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Nov 15 11:35:14 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 16:31 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 15/11/2007, Gustavo Ferreira <grilo at centroin.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > it seems like the plattform is going to be free software – but not
> > the fonts?
>
> The 5 page PDF type specimen PDF -
> http://www.ascendercorp.com/pdf/Droid_fonts.pdf - from the Ascender
> website has the following introductory text:
>
> "The Droid Typeface Family was designed in the Fall of 2006 by
> Ascender's Steve Matteson. The goal was to provide optimal quality and
> comfort on a mobile handset when rendered in application menus, web
> browsers and for other screen text. Ascender Corporation worked
> closely with the Open Handset Alliance to develop these system fonts
> for the Android platform – a complete mobile phone software stack that
> will be made available under the Apache open source license."
>
> I read 'system fonts for the Android platform ... that will be made
> available under the Apache open source license' :-)

Dave, why don't you go ahead and directly contact them and find out the
license they want to apply to these...I think ask first and then
persuade to do OFL later :)

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.