[OpenFontLibrary] License your fonts under MIT / X11!!

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Dec 18 01:36:02 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM,  <Fontfreedom at aol.com> wrote:
> I do think I want to push for fonts licensed under the MIT / X11 license, on
> one of these new sites people are
> building, we need some pages urging people to release new fonts under that
> particular license. I think this could be a core/reccomended open source
> license for fonts.

I don't understand why, either ideologically or practically.

Some projects should be public domain, Open Clipart is a good example.
But fonts are expressible as self-contained software and so there is
no reason not to use copyleft to protect people's ability to use them.

MIT/X11 is a minor licence. I wouldn't recommend it over revised BSD
and I certainly wouldn't recommend it over a copyleft licence.

- Rob.