[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 04:12:27 PST 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, George Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:03, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > FontLab VFBs are _not_ free formats. There are two I know of, UFO
> > and SFD.
>
> There are also ttf, otf, pfb, etc.

The issues I have with these formats:

* UFO: doesn't seem up to the task to keep all necessery information in
the font (ttf hinting for example). Could be extended since it's all
xml, but not exactly straight forward and would mean changing the
programs. And it doesn't have the OpenType information.

* TTF, OTF: binary formats, cannot be used for collaborative development
where people send in patches and use a central. Also, we often get the
fonts in TTF format, where something like the original source could be
very useful as well, since with TTF we only get the quadratic curves,
while they were designed with cubic curves (sure, convertors exist, but
they have small errors).

* SFD: the most useful one so far (and the only one we can use with
DejaVu), but SFDs have too much garbage in them that shouldn't be there
(the things we need to strip out in DejaVu before committing to svn),
like how you left your windows in FontForge. I also personally don't
like how ttf hinting is kept in binary form instead of being written
out completely (but some meta-hinting language would be even
greater :-p).

But I guess the best format doesn't exist, since the requirement for
different kind of fonts is so different...

Greetings
Ben