[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jan 9 09:22:44 PST 2008

> Which reminds me of the dangling thread about organising an OFLB
> schedule at the upcoming LGM: talks, workshops, etc.
> Who's going to the next LGM? Should we fund more designers to be able to
> come?

Here's what Ed sent to the Graphite-devel and Harfbuzz lists about the
next LGM. It's about holding the TextLayout Summit during LGM. It think
this is of interest to our community and I hope many designers and folks
interested in open font design and related issues will be present as
well. There will be some funding available:

" We've had some discussion about having the next Text Layout Meeting
(TLM) in conjunction with the 3rd Libre Graphics Meeting in Wrocław,
Poland this coming May 2008.
(http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2008/). Scribus folks will be
there, I expect Deja Vu developers to be there, and I think Behdad
Esfahbod has said he will be there too.

We had our first Text Layout Meeting 2 years ago in conjunction with
Gnome Live! in Boston, and our meeting last year with KDE in Glasgow.
So a meeting this year with LGM in Wrocław would continue our healthy
tradition of "mixing things up" with another group in the wide world
of Open Source development.

So if I could quickly get consensus from folks that LGM Wrocław is THE
PLACE to have our 2008 Text Layout Meeting, then we can make that
official and I'll start discussions with the Linux Foundation folks
regarding funding.  As we would once again continue our tradtion of
tagging along with another meeting and thus keeping our own meeting
and travel costs to a minimum, I expect that LF will look favorably
upon our funding requests.

THEREFORE, I WOULD NOW LIKE TO:

   (1)  Get a "show of hands" from everyone with interest in having
the Text Layout Meeting at LGM Wrocław:

          [  ] YES, Let's have the meeting at LGM Wrocław in May, 2008
          [  ]  No, Let's have it somewhere else.  Specify:
_________________

    (2) Find out who is planning on attending LGM:

          [  ] YES, I am definitely attending LGM and am interested in
attending TLM sessions.
          [  ]  I am thinking about attending, but not sure yet.
          [  ]  I will only go if I get travel funding.
          [  ] NO, not going.

    (3) Start collating an Draft Agenda:  Please give us your ideas:

    (4) Start collating a draft list of Presentations:  What do you
want to present ? :

Once I get a few responses, I'll start working on a wiki page, contact
LF about funding, and contact LGM about a room and equipment."

And the wiki entry for TextLayout is here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/TextLayout2008

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org