[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jan 13 16:24:10 PST 2008

On 13/01/2008, Christopher Fynn <cfynn at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
> > People can downplay how important they are and dodge the issue, but
> > for me, guidelines are of first order importance.
>
> Depends how the font was designed.
>
> I put in *and remove* guidelines frequently when making a font.
> Am I supposed to document all these different guidelines I use at
> different stages while making the font?

It would be better if the tool recorded them passively for you, I think.

Perhaps FontForge could have multiple guideline layers, and enable
linking glyphs to guideline layers, so you can have a set of guides
for capitals and another set of guides for lowercase.

> The more important vertical guides usually correspond to
> primary and secondary alignment zones and at least in pfb and
> cff fonts these values *are* stored in the font
> file along with other useful thins like stem widths etc.

Okay, thats an interesting idea for truly extrapolating the guides
from other data. Sorry I misinterpreted your earlier statement as
being all about human 'extrapolation' :)

> For TTF - since custom tables can be added to TTF fonts, if there
> is a real need  it should be easy enough to store info for things
> like guidelines in the final font file as George suggests.

This is an ideal improvement for the future, but it doesn't change the
usefulness of source files in a bundle alongside the binary, GPL
style, imo :)