[Openfontlibrary] Licensing options

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jul 2 09:29:41 PDT 2008

Femke Snelting wrote:
>  > We have plans to update the CC-host engine and include support for
> GPL > + exception fonts. But realistically the font exception really needs
>  > some work...  There are also quite a few uploaded fonts which need a
>  > license audit too.
>
> Thanks Nicolas!
>
> So do you think we should leave the font on the Open Font Library like
> this for the time being? Maybe we need to add a note to our description?

I think a notice explaining the inherited licensing from Nimbus (and a
mention of the font exception along with infos on OSP's branch) is needed.

I'd recommend you put a link back to your own site where you can host
the release until we get things sorted out on OFLB.

My take would be to put up a specimen there in the meantime.
What do the others think?

> And do you think it would create problems if there was an 'other
> license' option/button on the upload form?

Mmm, such an "other license" button is less than ideal IMHO.
We really want clear licensing for each font (same idea than the
thorough metadata checks). And IMHO that excludes the very fuzzy "public
domain" status that various fonts have been released under...

> best,
>
> Femke

Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org