[Openfontlibrary] Serving font files from Open Font Library for @font-face complicit browsers

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 07:52:07 PDT 2008

Hi,

I was idly thinking of following up on the fact that Safari and Opera
support a @font-face CSS rule (that will pull in a font file from the
web and use it to display text as if it were a font local to the
computer).*

I wondered about offering a service that hosted such fonts. It could be
an outgrowth of http://openfontlibrary.org/ (because it would share the
same aim - "collect public domain fonts *so that they may be used freely*").

It's just speculation, particularly because font files are typically no
bigger than the images that are used on web pages, so individual sites
won't really notice a performance hit from serving copies of the fonts
themselves. It could generate interesting usage stats though - as well
as potentially having a significant impact on OFL bandwidth... Anyone
discussing this elsewhere? Have I not been paying attention? ;-)

Cheers,
Ben

*Perhaps other browsers may also do so in the future.