[Openfontlibrary] a frog in Scribus

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 04:39:27 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Ludivine LOISEAU wrote:
> This ligature is encoded in "Common Ligatures lookup 0 subtable on
> the same level as fi, fl, IJ, ij, etc.

Don't make IJ and ij standard ligatures. We actually don't use these in
Dutch (they look ugly in a monospaced font), and in several cases it
would be just wrong to use the ij ligature since it doesn't always
represent the ij diphthong. People who speak other languages that
happen to have words with "ij" (to hijack, un bijou, etc) won't be
happy either :-)

If you want, you could still add it as a ligature for "i" + ZWJ + "j".

> It works fine in Inkscape but we cannot make it work in Scribus
> 1.3.3.12  nor 1.3.4. Are we overlooking something?

Do the other ligatures work normally? I can't get the normal "fi"
ligatures to work either, and I have to insert them through the menu if
I want them (so it probably just bypasses all OpenType rules)

Greetings
Ben