[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Nov 2 01:23:30 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 01:17 -0500, Fontfreedom at aol.com wrote:
> The single priority I have for openfontlibrary is:
>
> Creating a new openfontlibrary without any copyleft fonts. (and
> banning any new ones from appearing)
>
> Initially, Openfontlibrary was created as a place for fonts dedicated
> to the Public Domain. Things dedicated to the public domain are not
> copyleft. Copycenter licenses such as the BSD license, the MIT
> license, etc would also not be copyleft.
>
> I'm mostly afraid openfontlibrary is moving in the direction of
> becoming the (however small) sourceforge of fonts. (Sourceforge is a
> popular open source software website featuring mostly copyleft
> software.)

> If anyone would suggest the best way to make this happen, I'm all
> ears...
>
> Remember, I own the openfontlibrary.com and .net domains, the
> non-copyleft version of openfontlibrary could go there. I started
> talking privately with (rejon) about this idea last year, but that
> never really went anywhere.

Oh, I think that would not be a very good way to split traffic. I
understand your points, but in the end I think better off to be more
inclusive rather than more exclusive. Yes, originally I pushed very hard
for PD only fonts like we have PD only content for openclipart.org

My thinking on the subject might have changed now slightly in that I'm
most interested in supporting the spectrum of usability.

I personally would like to see openfontlibrary (OFLB) be the place for
fonts on the free and open desktop. However, in the interest of the
project, and contributors, I'm most willing to work together with
interested parties to create something together by consensus and
especially when I don't know something.

The good thing about our setup is that we can support both PD and what
the majority of font developers in the FLOSS world (or rather those that
speak up / dig in ) suppport: PD and SIL OFL.

> I understand the majority (but not all) of the people involved with
> this project are pro-copyleft, but I really want to have a
> non-copyleft openfontlibrary.
>
> FF

Well, I personally lean more towards more complete freedom as in Public
Domain or something more like CC attribution license, but in this
project, we have decided to expand the licensing options for the
preference of the community.

Regardless, I strongly hope that we can work towards commons solution
because we don't want to create site proliferation (aka, we have hard
enough time keeping forward momentum on the current site, but which is
happening now thanks to the efforts of Dave, Ben, George, etc).

Cheers