[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:47:21 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM,  Fontfreedom wrote:

> Initially, Openfontlibrary was created as a place for fonts dedicated to the
> Public Domain.

I really don't know what made you jump at this conslusion. When I was
pinging rejon three years ago about creating a OCAL like website for
fonts, I didn't have PD in mind, neither had rejon from what I
remember. This was all about fonts with source code/projects, freely
distributable and modifiable.

When I hear discussions, whether PD or OFL or GPL3 or whatever else is
free enough and how exactly this "enough" should be defined, my head
starts hurting and my antifreaks system goes to red alert mode.

IMO, OFLB is a place for fonts which anyone can download, use for any
purpose, modify or even sell (keeping in mind what SIL OFL 1.1 says
about it). It shouldn't be a place for just free fonts, because it
simply doesn't make sense competing with *most everybody else* around.

Could we please be happy with PD, OFL and GPL and any other OSI
approved license?

Alexandre