[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Nov 3 02:01:55 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 04:32 -0500, Fontfreedom at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 11/2/2008 10:26:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> liam at holoweb.net writes:
>         On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 01:17 -0500, Fontfreedom at aol.com wrote:
>
>         > The single priority I have for openfontlibrary is:
>         Creating a new
>         > openfontlibrary without any copyleft fonts. (and banning any
>         new ones
>         > from appearing)   Initially, Openfontlibrary was created as
>         a place
>         > for fonts dedicated to the Public Domain. Things dedicated
>         to the
>         > public domain are not copyleft.
>
>         On the other hand, anyone can take a public domain resource
>         (in
>         the USA) and re-release it under the GPL, even if they are not
>         the creator. That's where the first GNU "tar" program came
>         from,
>         for example -- by taking pdtar, without consulting the author.
>
>         Here in Canada there's no such thing as public domain.
>
>         Maybe it would be better if OFL made it clear which licence
>         was
>         in use for a given font, and let people search and filter by
>         licence?
>
>         Liam
>
> Canada does indeed have a public domain.
> In fact, there are even Canadian public domain websites...
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071022-european-copyright-law-used-to-threaten-canadian-public-domain-site.html

Yes, agree. There is absolutely a canadian public domain...see one of my
projects from cc still working on:
http://creativecommons.org/projects/pdwiki

Also, in any country that doesn't have or has encumbered PD, CC has
coming out: http://creativecommons.org/projects/cczero partially driven
by pdwiki and other demands.

> >and let people search and filter by licence?
>
> That's a fine feature request...However, I still want there to be an
> open font site without any copyleft fonts, and which encourages people
> considering releasing their fonts to use alternatives to copyleft.

Yes, ccHost allows this.