[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Nov 3 03:31:07 PST 2008

2008/11/2 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM,  Fontfreedom wrote:
>
>> Initially, Openfontlibrary was created as a place for fonts dedicated to the
>> Public Domain.
>
> I really don't know what made you jump at this conslusion. When I was
> pinging rejon three years ago about creating a OCAL like website for
> fonts, I didn't have PD in mind, neither had rejon from what I
> remember. This was all about fonts with source code/projects, freely
> distributable and modifiable.

To be fair, the site did say it was about PD fonts for a long time.
The OFL code and all the text was copied from OCAL, which is why some
people recall PD being a policy - it was inherited from OCAL
initially, and has slowly been removed :-)

> Could we please be happy with PD, OFL and GPL and any other OSI
> approved license?

The OSI approved some licenses the FSF considers non-free, although
they are obscure, so it is better than use the FSF as an authority, or
to be bipartisan, "OSI boolean-AND FSF licenses" as policy.