[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue Nov 4 03:01:07 PST 2008

Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2008/11/4 Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>:
>>> I've updated the site to warn people to check font files themselves
>> I disagree. We make it clear what fonts should be under. And, if one
>> submits their fonts and not under the terms allowed, we should delete
>> the fonts and/or look to support the option if their is sufficient
>> uptake for the license after review.
> Okay, i've removd those changes, and looked at all the PD fonts on the
> site; only 3 had descriptions saying they were under a different
> license, and I've revmoed/updated them to OFL accordingly.

Quick thought:

I'd recommend we consider having an upload policy that encourages
*authors themselves* to upload their own fonts and if others who are not
authors post a font it should be clearly marked as such ("on behalf of"
or something like that) and indicate who the upstream author is and
provide a link to the upstream site when it exists. A tickbox "I have
checked that this font isn't violating any author rights" or similar
could be useful IMHO.

Another policy item to separate ourselves from the gazillion freeware
font sites...

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer