[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Nov 4 05:14:48 PST 2008

"Fontfreedom at aol.com" wrote:

> In a message dated 11/3/2008 12:33:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> ed.trager at gmail.com writes:
>
>      >Hi, FontFreedom,
>
>      > ... but I really want to have a non-copyleft
>      > openfontlibrary.
>
>      >Why?
>
>     If we are not using "copyleft" licenses, what are you proposing to
>     use in place?
>
> Copy - Center licenses, Such as:

> The CC-BY License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

This license requires attribution - and for any *reuse* or distribution,
requires that the original license terms must be made clear to others.

Does this mean if someone uses a font under this license to print a book
(which could be considered a kind of "reuse") that the original license
terms must be printed or indicated in the book? Does there have to be an
attribution?

> The MIT/X11 License

As a font developer why should I particularly want to let anyone
"sublicense, and/or sell copies" of a font they got freely from me?

I'm happy to share or  but I don't particularly want anyone sub
licensing or distributing copies for profit.

> Zope Public License (ZPL)

As a font developer why would I ever want to use a license which states
"This software consists of contributions made by Zope Corporation"  - I
don't even know who they are and the  Zope Corporation didn't contribute
to any font software I made.

- Chris