[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:46:53 PST 2008

Hi, Chris,

> Releasing a font under GPL or OFL license simply ensures the font can
> freely be used or modified by anyone and that no one can claim
> proprietary or commercial rights.
>
> If somebody does want a similar font to sell under a commercial license
> I'm perfectly willing to develop one for them for a fair price.

Regarding "no one can claim proprietary or commercial rights," I
believe that is actually not quite the case under U.S. copyright law,
as I understand it.  As the original font author, I believe that you
yourself have the right to sell your own font under as many different
licenses as you want, commercial as well as FLOSS.

"Dual Licensing" appears to be becoming fairly common in the FLOSS
software world.  Commercial entities often ask for a commercial
license from FLOSS vendors because their lawyers like that better, I
guess.  Maybe it is the liability thing -- a commercial entity does
not want to be accused of "stealing" someone's software or font, open
source or otherwise, so they want to negotiate payment for use.

So you actually don't have to develop a separate font -- you can use
the same one you have already developed and sell it if you have
buyers.  For something like Jomolhari, I'm sure there is a market.

Best - Ed