[Openfontlibrary] MIT/X11 License for fonts

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 11:50:19 PST 2008

In a message dated 11/5/2008 4:38:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rob at robmyers.org writes:

On Wed,  Nov 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM,  <Fontfreedom at aol.com> wrote:
> In a  message dated 11/5/2008 1:23:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>  rob at robmyers.org writes:
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:16 AM,   <Fontfreedom at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> My vision is more   along the lines of:
>>
>> Someone takes a basic, high  quality font with a  copycenter license or
>> public
>>  domain dedication.
>> They use that as a base,  making it into  "the banana font" and Sarah's
>> Swirly
>> Sans Serif, then  sells those  as commercial fonts.
>
> Why?
>
> -  Rob.
>
> Why? It's less work to build on something which already  has 60% of what you
> want.

And if I then buy that font and want  to add my own 40% to it, what do I do?

- Rob.

Interesting question. Assuming Person A is using the MIT/X11 License for
their font:

Person A created a font called zfff. Uploads it to the  OpenFontLibrary.
Person B downloads it, modifies it 40%, and sells it as a commercial font,
Super zfff.
Person C buys the font Super zfff. Person C may not modify it.
Person A buys the font Super zfff. Person A may not modify it, despite
having been the one who created the font Super zfff is based on.

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)