[Openfontlibrary] design service

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Nov 5 20:59:18 PST 2008

Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 20:41 -0200, minombresbond wrote:
>> I understand that the glyps of any typeface is not
>> 'copyrightable' material in USA and the rest of the world
>>
>> http://www.loc.gov/cgi-bin/formprocessor/copyright/cfr.pl?&urlmiddle=1.0.2.6.2.0.174.1∂=202&section=1&prev=&next=2
>>
>> (except any 'patented' typefaces in any european countrys),
>
> That's not right -- they are not copyrightable in the US, but
> they _are_ copyrightable in (many) other countries.  However,
> typeface design protection is limited, e.g. in the UK I think
> it's 25 years.

The UK is not as strict as other European countries.

As far as I know in Germany a type design may be Copyright  for 70 years
after the death of the creator and, even after that, the state the State
may continue to exercise rights relating to  acknowledgment of the
author and the rights relating to the integrity of the design.
(Don't no whether "integrity" rights could be used to prevent
modifications and derivatives of an original design.)

In other continental European countries may have similar laws. Generally
I don't think European differentiates between typeface design and other
design and artwork.

Safest to follow the rules of the country where a design or typeface was
first published AND the rules of the country where OFLB is hosted.

This is what Wikimedia Commons requires for copied artwork uploaded
there  (Term of US Law and the law of the country where something was
originally published).

I also wonder whether free software licenses (designed for software) are
appropriate for fonts where a font is first published in a country where
the design is protected?

- C