[Openfontlibrary] [Fwd: Re: "Fonts are protected are artistic works in the UK"]

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Nov 7 03:54:30 PST 2008

2008/11/7 Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org>:

> http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/plain/ukpga_19880048_en_content.htm#pt1-ch3-pb7

AHA! I thought I wasn't mistaken, but, well, it has been known.... :-D

> This does mention 25 years. But only in the context of marketing materials.

Er, hang on.

"(1) This section applies to the copyright in an artistic work
consisting of the design of a typeface where articles specifically
designed or adapted for producing material in that typeface have been
marketed by or with the licence of the copyright owner.

(2) After the period of 25 years from the end of the calendar year in
which the first such articles are marketed, the work may be copied by
making further such articles, or doing anything for the purpose of
making such articles, and anything may be done in relation to articles
so made, without infringing copyright in the work. "

This seems to say to me, "copyright applies to the design of a
typeface as an artistic WORK (life+70...) and then ARTICLES (bits of
lead) are made for printing in that typeface, under licence of the
artistic copyright (life+70) owner. But! 25 years after the ARTICLES
are put on sale, the ARTWORK may be copied by making further such BITS
OF LEAD or doing anything for the purpose of making such articles, and
anything may be done in relation to articles so made, WITHOUT
infringing (life+70) copyright in the ARTWORK."

Which is to say, the Lord giveth, and He taketh away. Haha! :-)

"For further information and legal advice on copyright protection of
typefaces and fonts, contact our lawyers online or call us on 020 7353
2732."

I just did that, and they'll call me back next week.