[OpenFontLibrary] Font Myths

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 12:53:42 PST 2008

>> I don't see any reason typefaces first released in the UK or  Europe
>> would enjoy any copyright protection in the U.S. All  typefaces (not
>> fonts) are automatically and immediately public  domain in the U.S.
>
> Because it seems that under international  copyright conventions
> countries have agreed to respect each others  copyright. So if something
> is created in the UK and copyright there it  should also be copyright in
> the US ~ whether or not a creation of the  same sort created in the US
> would be copyright there. At least this is  how the working of the
> conventions was explained to me.

You guys really should see the Font Myths website:

MYTH # 3 - If Copyright Does Not Provide Font Protection,  Treaties Do So.
In a font, the name, any programming code not describing the font design (and
 possibly non-alphanumeric designs that are not common and don't carry
information) are all that can be copyrighted. This leaves the door open in the  USA
to have anyone pay for the output of each character from a typesetter and
redigitize it or extract the design from a font program (and rename it), easily
duplicating the design. Most foundries have very similar fonts derived from
work  largely designed by others.

____________________________________

QUESTION As signatories to the Berne Convention,  isn't the USA obliged to
provide full artistic copyright protection to typefaces  originating in
countries with design protection? And weren't there recent  "accords" that
strengthened the treaty?

____________________________________

ANSWER NOPE!
Other countries' copyright laws do not and never did supercede US laws
regarding US acts and sales.
Copyright is highly individualistic from country to country (and is even
administered differently by each court in the cantons of Switzerland and
provinces of Italy, for instance) unlike the international monolithic consensus
these other guys would have you believe.
Because of the strongly held, idiosyncratic beliefs of most nations, there
was a core set of articles that most countries would subscribe to and there
were  large numbers of articles that some countries felt were important, where
others  were adamantly opposed. The only way to do the deal was to get a group
of  nations to sign on to the "core" copyright treaty and as many of the other
articles as they would assent to.
An appropriate analogy might be that of a cafeteria, where each country's
legislative body picked their own choice of vegetables to go with the basic
meal.
The US registered several "reservations" of articles. These were articles
that they refused to sign on to as part of the treaty. This placed all other
countries on notice that these rejected articles would not be enforced in the
US. For the US, the rejection of these areas became law as well as the
acceptance of other terms. As part of the signing of the treaty, each nation  agreed
to respect the "national sovreignty" of other countries in these areas.
The only way to add articles to a treaty would be by treaty and full approval
 of the senate.
Any time a treaty is signed with another country, it must be ratified by the
Senate. Their debate, passage and any reservations they include in the treaty
 even supercede any other Federal or State laws in effect. So, there can be
no  modification of this "higher level of treaty law" without a modification of
the  terms of the treaty. No "accord" signed by the executive branch of the
government has any standing to compete with law - especially treaty law!
The executive branch of the government has no right to go against the direct
wishes of Congress, regarding a law, duly passed by both houses and signed by
 the President. This is why the Copyright Office's final regulations so
closely  mirror the intent of Congress.
Regardless of what "accords" have been signed by "whomever", the Copyright
office has coordinated all current law in a publication that they call
Circular 1 - Copyright Basics as published by the US Copyright Office (I
believe,free to all upon request.) Page 7 says
There is no such thing as an 'international copyright' that will
automatically protect an author's writings throughout the entire world.  ....

By joining the Berne Convention on March 1, 1989, the United States  gained
protection for it's authors in all member nations of the Berne Union  with
which the United States formerly had no copyright relations or had  bilateral
treaty arrangements. Members of the Berne Union agree to a  certain minimum level
of copyright protection and agree to treat nationals  of other member
countries like their own nationals for purposes of  copyright. A work first published
in the United States or another Berne  Union country (or first published in a
non-Berne Union country, follower by  publication within 30 days in a Berne
Union country) is eligible for  protection in all Berne member countries. There
are no special requirements.
Please notice that, "Members of the Berne Union ... agree to treat nationals
of other member countries like their own nationals for purposes of
copyright."  This means that everybody has to play by the US rules in the US.
In signing the Berne Convention, all signatory governments assented to the
treatment of their nationals in the US according to current US law. So, all
countries which have signed the Berne Conventions have agreed, in treaty, for
the designs of their citizens to receive no protection in the US. They do not
treat the US position as outside the bounds of decency. They understand it,
and  allow it.

____________________________________

QUESTION Isn't there stronger protection in some  other countries?

____________________________________

ANSWER You are right, in some countries there are  laws protecting font
companies more than the common law rights of the people.
Restriction of rights of the press is much less a problem in England. Or in
France under Napoleanic Law, where you are guilty till proven innocent. There
are benefits to this country and drawbacks.
In England, I understand, the font legislation was written by a font company
who was lobbying Parliment! But, you chose to live here, all things
considered. Please don't choose to live here and then yell at me because I drive  on
the right side of the road and tell me how it's so much better "over there"!
Every government takes some things from it's citizens and distributes  them
to the masses. In our country there is a 100% tax on exclusivity of font
designs.
Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)