[OpenFontLibrary] GPL fonts! (Was: Open Font Library submissions)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Nov 10 08:51:28 PST 2008

Le lundi 10 novembre 2008 à 16:33 +0000, Dave Crossland a écrit :
> 2008/11/10 James Weiner <james at weareculture.com>:
> >
> > Are there no font formats that can carry easily accessible meta data like
> > ID3 does for mp3s etc?
>
> TrueType and OpenType do this easily enough; the problem is getting
> users to put the metadata there.

And keep it up to date / accurate

Even when there is info in font metadata we often can not trust it
because it has been wrong so many times before.

Countless fonts say they're at version 1.0 even when we see them revised
many times.

Countless fonts make incomplete of plain false licensing statements in
their metadata (Google Droid is just the last high-visibility example).

I'll take a detached license file and a versionned archive any day in
the stead of their metadata equivallents. One can be trusted the other —
not.

--
Nicolas Mailhot