[OpenFontLibrary] GPL fonts! (Was: Open Font Library submissions)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Nov 10 15:42:02 PST 2008

    I think requiring the font exception would be ideal - ie, removing the
    2nd category above.

FWIW, I don't agree.  I liked your earlier conception much better: if
it's under a free software license, it can be in OFLB.  For one thing,
it makes for a much simpler decision process than "we accept free
licenses a, b, c, but not d, e, and f".  What basis is there to exclude
some?

It is possible a font designer would *choose* to license under GPL
without font exception.  Not that I know of any actual examples, it's
always just been ignorance, but it's conceivable.

    the largest collection I know of are the URW fonts that are
    distributed as part of Ghostscript, which predate the "font
    exception."

A form of the GPL font exception appears in the PFB's of most of the URW
font packages I have seen, although whether it was legally added, I
don't know.  Aladdin and URW don't answer on these topics, in my
experience :(.

karl