[OpenFontLibrary] GPL fonts! (Was: Open Font Library submissions)

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue Nov 11 09:06:10 PST 2008

[...]

> So I think it would be fine for a font to say in its metadata,
>
> "Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, George Bush Jr. This
> font is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
> the terms of the Open Font License as published by SIL; either version
> 1.1 of the License available from http://ofl11.url, or (at your
> option) any later version. See the Open Font License for more
> details."

Ha ha ha!  Well... if these people opt for a radical career change and
start making open fonts for the benefit of humanity (or creative fun
when retired) then I'd recommend they also follow the recommended
template (yes they can) with split copyright notices, reserved names
lines and links to license and FAQ that the OFL provides in its header.

There is also a richer header template for separate source files on
http://oflb.open-fonts.org/OFL-1.1-header.txt

>> Countless fonts make incomplete of plain false licensing statements in
>> their metadata (Google Droid is just the last high-visibility example).
>
> Then we should contact the authors and remind them to take care of the
> metadata too.

Exactly.

>> I'll take a detached license file and a versionned archive any day in
>> the stead of their metadata equivallents. One can be trusted the other —
>> not.
>
> By providing authors with a way to upload ZIP archives - and perhaps
> in the future a way to automatically generate ZIP archives with such
> detatched licenses if they aren't already included - I think the OFLB
> should support this.

+1

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
http://planet.open-fonts.org