[OpenFontLibrary] Fonts on the new site

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Nov 22 16:15:07 PST 2008

Hi Ben L!

2008/11/22 Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com>:
> I have one issue with the CSS of the new OFLB site
> (http://openfontlibrary.fontly.org/openfontlibrary_files/skins/oflb-skin/css/style.css):
>
>        font-family: HelveticaNeue-Light, "Helvetica Neue Light", "Nimbus
> Sans", Helvetica, Arial;
>
> Does it make sense to start of with commercial and expensive fonts (of
> which I'm sure 99% of the visitors won't have anyway) on a Free font
> site?

I've updated this to:

font-family: "Nimbus Sans", HelveticaNeue-Light, "Helvetica Neue
Light", Helvetica, Arial;

I think we have more than 1% of visitors using Mac OS X, which comes
with Helvetica Neue as part of the OS -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fonts_in_Mac_OS_X - and I expect
that the majority of the site's contributors will be using Mac OS X
because the majority of graphic designers do so. OFLB must look
appealing to that group, so specifying that font in the CSS (but not
distributing it) is okay I think. At least until a "Nimbus Sans Light"
exists. And specifying Nimbus Sans first is no problem since I don't
expect many Mac OS X users to have that installed.

Perhaps Ben W and James W can comment.