[Openfontlibrary] Fwd: open source font

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Thu Oct 16 10:01:40 PDT 2008

Brendan Ferguson wrote:
> Luts Baar has just said he will open up "Miraculus" to the open source
> community. The message is below.
>
> Can someone help me in making sure this is done properly? What kind of
> info should he post on his site, if any? What font license is best? etc.
> etc.
>
> Brendan Ferguson

Hi,

It's really up to the designers to choose the appropriate license that
makes sense to them but we recommend the OFL as indicated on the wiki:
http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Font_Licensing

I'd also recommend getting the designer to read through the OFL FAQ.

As for recommendations of the structure of the font tarball itsefl
there's a template here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fonts/open-font-design-resources/foo-open-font-sources/files

Granted it's a rather exhaustive template (!), not everything might be
available or even needed... but the more extended font sources the
author of Miraculus can release, the better.

One very important thing is to make sure that the metadata fields (in
the Name table) are properly filled in and correspond to what is
intended and coherent with the other tarball files.

Then when you upload, an image specimen is also very useful alongside
the licensing choice and the description tags.

Thanks for your advocacy work in favor of open fonts!

Nicolas Spalinger
http://planet.open-fonts.org