[Openfontlibrary] New Open Source Font, Help Migrating

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Oct 17 00:56:32 PDT 2008

Brendan Ferguson wrote:
>> It's really up to the designers to choose the appropriate license that
>> makes sense to them but we recommend the OFL as indicated on the wiki:
>> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Font_Licensing
>
> Great
>>
>> I'd also recommend getting the designer to read through the OFL FAQ.
>
> Will do.
>>
>> As for recommendations of the structure of the font tarball itsefl
>> there's a template here:
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fonts/open-font-design-resources/foo-open-font-sources/files
>
> Will the font designer know what this is? I really don't. Is this some
> kind of a source file that is generally not released with the finished
> font?

Sorry if this is unclear. I'd welcome any suggestions on improving this
template.

There's a README.txt file trying to describe the content of each
template each with links to the relevant website.

BTW I'm glad to see Dave's and Ben's suggestions already. The basic idea
is to provide a "ideal" VCS (version control system) development and
release branch of an open font with as much source as possible to make
it easier for various people to collaborate. I *do recognize* it's a bit
exhaustive and takes into account many file formats but it's only a
template. Not all font projects will have all that but it's good to
indicate somewhere that it exists and can be useful.

>> One very important thing is to make sure that the metadata fields (in
>> the Name table) are properly filled in and correspond to what is
>> intended and coherent with the other tarball files.
>
> Will he know what this means?

You could show him the fontforge dialog for that:
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/fontinfo.html#TTF-Names

Restricted tools like Fontographer/Fontlab have similar dialogs.

Nicolas Spalinger
http://planet.open-fonts.org