[Openfontlibrary] Web Fonts Conference Call

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Sep 1 09:04:57 PDT 2008

Simon Daniels <simonda at windows.microsoft.com> posted to Typophile at
http://typophile.com/node/48971 (with RSS version at
http://typophile.com/crss/node/48971 ):

When I talk to type designers and foundry representatives about issues
related to Web fonts they often state that they feel as if they don't
have a voice that's heard by standards bodies and browser makers.

To address this issue I've set up a conference call with Bert Bos (W3C
staff contact for the CSS working group) and his colleagues from W3C.
Bert wants to hear directly from people making fonts about issues
related to fonts and the Web, font-linking (as recently implemented in
Safari) and efforts to standardize the Embedded OpenType (EOT) format.

The call will take place on Wednesday September 3rd at 8am Seattle
time, that's 11am east-coast, 4pm in the UK and 5pm in mainland
Europe.

If you're a type designer or foundry rep and would like to be on the
call please send me a mail and I'll send local call in numbers. If the
number of participants is high, or the time inconvenient, we'll set up
a second call at a later date.

In other news, providing he can get his visa, Bert will be joining the
Web fonts panel at ATypI St Petersburg next month, and will be able to
chat with type designers in person about these issues.

Cheers, Si